Apple Tarte

Apple Tarte

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

it began in the kitchen

Hi, I'm Gioia (pronounced joy-yah - it's Italian for joy) and I love to cook. For as long as I can remember, I've cooked. My earliest memories in the kitchen were helping my paternal grandmother make pasta - tortellini, tagliatelle, ravioli, whatever! She was patient with me as my fingers struggled with folding and squishing the ends to seal the little packages of goodness. We'd have them in a delicious chicken broth, with grated parmesan cheese and a dash of red wine (yep, we put wine in our soup)...YUM!

Since those days, I've expanded my culinary abilities. I attended cooking school in Paris (that was a blast) and spent 10 years working as a chef. Now I teach others how to cook, and am always developing new recipes for my students. My husband and I are vegans, so I've got lots of recipes that don't include meat or animal products as well.

I am happiest in my kitchen or anyone else's for that matter. It's where I'm most comfortable and find myself drawn to. When I'm stressed, I cook, when I'm happy, I cook, when I'm sad, I cook. And then of course, I eat!

I hope you'll come back to read my blog where I'll share recipes and some culinary musings.

7 comments:

  1. That pie looks amazing! What time is it served?? :) Good stuff Gioia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Can't wait to hear about all of your cooking adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love the recipe for this pie and also, I would like to just eat that salad right off this screen! What a beautiful picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks!! I will post the tarte recipe one of these days. It's quite easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growing up, your house was also my house since I spent so much of my time there. I loved all the food and the excitement with hugging and kissing. Even to this day, I still 'want to be italian'. Just last week I made one of you recipes (a favorite of mine) -> fresh strawberries with creme de casis. Keep on bloggin, Gioia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellen - I am so happy you found my blog. Thank you for commenting. I remember those days, running between our homes, seems like just yesterday. Anyway, I think we made you an honorary Italian a long time ago! Oh and thanks for reminding me about the strawberries with cassis...yum! I'll have to post that recipe one of these days!

    ReplyDelete